New incubator space for innovative companies working in cancer
Works have begun to create a new Innovation Gateway – a high-quality incubator space for life sciences companies at The London Cancer Hub in Sutton, south London.
Innovative life sciences companies working in areas related to cancer will get the chance to work alongside scientists at The Institute of Cancer Research, London, within around 6,300 square feet of mixed laboratory, office and collaboration space.
The plans include up to seven individual Category-2 laboratories, as well as shared lab space, and individual and shared office spaces. There will be flexibility to allow spaces to reflect the needs of companies, and access to more sophisticated lab equipment may also be available.
The Innovation Gateway is one of a series of new developments on a 4.8 hectare site, acquired by the London Borough of Sutton, which will see an expansion of the London Cancer Hub. The Hub is already home to the Sutton sites for the ICR and The Royal Marsden Hospital. The Innovation Gateway will be positioned directly alongside the Centre for Cancer Drug Discovery.
The ICR is now looking for companies to move into the Innovation Gateway in late 2021. Particular emphasis is on those that would be interested in collaborating with ICR scientists on drug discovery and development, immuno-oncology, Big Data and AI, microscopy, imaging or medical physics.
While costs aren’t fixed yet, the indications are that they will work out on par with those of an incubator in a provincial city. This should be attractive to start-ups or teams keen on collaboration, as well as relative ease of access to central London (around 30 minutes by train).
The Innovation Gateway will offer:
- Up to seven individual Category 2 labs, plus shared lab space for all companies
- Up to four office spaces for specific companies
- Hot desking area, break-out meeting rooms and kitchen facilities
- One large space available for a company requiring a large footprint
With added benefits of being situated in the London Cancer Hub:
- Access to world-leading clinicians, researchers and equipment, including a dedicated team of knowledge exchange professionals at the ICR
- Good connections with other leading clusters in the ‘Golden Triangle’
- Seminar, networking and collaboration opportunities
- Potential access to existing ICR core scientific facilities and business services support via the ICR
Find out more