MedCity’s Angels in MedCity initiative is growing a new community of angels focused specifically on life sciences to invest into innovative life sciences/healthcare businesses.
Angels in MedCity is a collaboration between MedCity, London Business Angels and Angels4LifeSciences and aims to help emerging innovative businesses in a wide range of sectors to locate new resources available in London and provide practical support that will enable them to raise investment funding and thereby to facilitate further job creation in London. Angels are individuals who normally invest in companies in the early stage through to the revenue-generating stage when they want to expand further. They invest alone or as part of a syndicate, and can be a valuable source of experience, expertise and contacts as well as funding
Since its launch in October 2014, the scheme has brought together around 300 potential investors and held regular pitching events at which over 40 companies have presented their investment opportunities. Several companies have so far secured investment of angel syndicates through the scheme (see below).
Find out more about angel investment at ukbusinessangelsassociation.org.uk
Read more about successfull investments made through our programme:
- Angels in MedCity programme announces first funding of £2m (Desktop Genetics and StepJockey)
- Smart Surgical Appliances raises £600k
- Nalia Systems succesfully raises £150k seed round
- Oxford’s Electrospinning completes fundraising through Angels in MedCity
- Jellagen Pty Ltd raises £1.5m for next generation jellyfish collagen
- Sense Biodetect raises Seed Investment round through Angels in MedCity
- Camstent raises £850k round for antibacterial coating upscaling
- Neonatal care specialist, mOm Incubators, raises £630k investment round
- Angels in MedCity supports Eagle Genomics to raise £1m investment
- Jupiter Diagnostics raises £1.6m investment, supported by Angels in MedCity
- The Electrospinning Company raises £650k with participation from Angels in MedCity investors
- Angels in MedCity supports LiveSmart to fund new digital health trials
- Angels in MedCity investors cornerstone Clustermarket’s £250k investment round
|Clustermarket gives scientists the opportunity to access latest technology in an easy and affordable way by providing an online sharing platform.
CEO: Johannes Solzbach
|LiveSmart is developing a digital health improvement platform that is effective at driving behaviour change.
CEO: Alex Heaton
|The Electrospinning Company designs, develops and manufactures biomaterials for use in regenerative medical devices.
CEO: Ann Kramer
|Eagle Genomics develops software solutions for pharmaceutical, biotech and personal care product companies to bring new candidate medicines, therapies and products to patients and customers more quickly.
CEO: Abel Ureta-Vidal
|Oppilotech develops novel antibacterial compounds against drug resistant organisms.
CEO: Ajay Mistry
|mOm Incubators has developed an inexpensive, electronically controlled, inflatable infant incubator designed and built to decrease the number of infant deaths.
CEO: James Roberts
|Jupiter Diagnostics has developed a point-of-care diagnostic reader, allowing anyone to perform quick, affordable blood tests.
CEO: Chris Ball
|OxTex is pioneering novel tissue expander solutions for the primary use in reconstructive and dental surgery.
CEO: David Jackson
|Camstent has invented a catheter coating to prevent infection and reduce associated costs.
CEO: Paul Harper
|Sense is developing user-centred, handheld diagnostic test devices in the fields of infection and oncology.
CEO: Harry Lamble
|Jellagen produces research grade functional non-mammalian collagen products sourced from jellyfish.
CEO: Andrew Mearns Spragg
|Nalia Systems is a developer of customisable immunodiagnostic systems that accelerate biomedical research and drug discovery and development, producing simple, accurate and cost-effective biomarker panels that enable patient stratification and rapid go/no-go decision making.
CEO: Nigel Davis
|StepJockey is a digital health company that creates healthy, active spaces with their unique smart signs and stair climbing challenges.
CEO: Paul Nuki
|Desktop Genetics is building a CRISPR AI that enables scientists to modify any cell, in any species by designing and executing personalized CRISPR genome editing, right from their desktop.
CEO: Riley Doyle